Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Anti-Valentine's?

Not me. Not anymore. After refusing to celebrate it for so many years, criticizing it, calling it cheesy, and organizing anti-Valentine’s get-togethers with my single girlfriends, I’m actually through with my anti-Valentine’s phase.
Don’t get me wrong, I am still against its commercial and corny side; I don’t think we should wish and buy Valentine presents to all our friends and family members like they do in the United Sates. But I do think it’s a good occasion to be tastefully romantic and celebrate your love relationship when you have one. And I also think some people need the hint to show some romance to their partner, as many couples lack romance, even if everything seems perfect from the outside. Besides, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know any woman who does not appreciate a romantic surprise/gesture from her lover. On a controversial note, as I know many will disagree (especially male readers), I sincerely think that we women are generally better at having daily romantic details for our lover. So why should we be against Valentine's Day, the once-a-year certain occasion to be shown some romance in return?

No comments: