Thursday, December 06, 2007


Thankfully, I have been able to visit Sus yesterday and today, and I am pretty sure I was thus able to help her feel better, even if only by keeping her company, making her think about something else or making her laugh. She's the one who made me realize I should be slowly but surely starting to make some decisions, such as choosing my midwife and registering for the classes I want to take. She made the mistake to wait until late in her pregnancy, and she thus was quite limited in her choices. Indeed, by the time I come back from the Christmas holidays in Switzerland, it will be January, and I will be in the 20th week, so if I want to take the yoga class for pregnant women for example, I should at least find out when the classes begin and register before the class is full.

As for the midwife, I really hope I find one who speaks either english, french or spanish, which would make me much more comfortable. But another wish I have, is that she can be present during the birth, as here in Germany your gynecologist is not in charge of the delivery. You choose the hospital, and pray that you'll like the gynecologist in charge that day/night when the baby decides to come. So if at least the midwife would be there, I think I'd feel better about having that familiar face around, other than my husband of course. Meaning I would need to choose a midwife who works at the hospital where I want to give birth. Meaning I need to be choosing the hospital... already!?!?

... three important decisions I need to be taking very soon, although I thought I had all the time in the world ahead of me. Any advice is more than welcome.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Troublesome phone call

I don't know if it is because I'm pregnant and am therefore maybe more sensitive to bad news these days, but the phone call of Sus' husband today really affected me. He began by canceling our dinner plans and proceeded to explain that Sus is in the hospital, being operated as we spoke, due to a pneumothorax (collapsed lung.)

It's not a big operation, although we all know that any operation implies risk, and she'll be fine. She will have to stay for at least a week in the hospital however, and they have therefore canceled their trip to Italy this weekend, and called Sus' mother to take care of Gabriel in the meantime. I might not even be able to visit her as apparently Sus might still be contagious from her intestinal flu, so the doctor said. But it is just shocking me how quick things can happen, how our lives can change in seconds, maybe more so knowing that I will soon be a mother. Sus is always so healthy and so full of positive energy. I wish I could be there for her.