I have a sister. Well a step-sister to be exact from my Dad's second marriage. She's ten years younger than me and a quite typical Miami girl. I love her dearly, even if she drives me completely nuts sometimes, and even if I really do not know her so well. At least not as good as I'd imagine sisters know each other. Blame it on the ten years difference, but mostly on shortly having lived together and definitely being raised very differently.
My sister Tambo sent me one of those 'get to know each other' forwards, which I want to share with you as I 1. find some of her answers hillarious and 2. some others have really surprised me. So here it goes:
WELCOME TO THE 2006 EDITION OF GETTING TO KNOW YOUR FRIENDS. WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO IS COPY (NOT FORWARD) THIS ENTIRE E-MAIL AND PASTE IT ONTO A NEW E-MAIL THAT YOU'LL SEND. CHANGE ALL THE ANSWERS SO THEY APPLY TO YOU THEN SEND THIS TO A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE INCLUDING THE PERSON WHO SENT IT TO YOU. THE THEORY IS THAT YOU WILL LEARN A LOT OF LITTLE THINGS ABOUT YOUR FRIENDS THAT YOU WOULDN'T FIND OUT OTHERWISE.
1. WHAT TIME DID YOU GET UP THIS MORNING? it was afternoon
2. DIAMONDS OR PEARLS? i prefer diamonds
3. WHAT WAS THE LAST FILM YOU SAW AT THE CINEMA? just saw "Lucky # Slevin" with Josh Hartnett, what a hunk!
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW? Family Guy now I guess. I really enjoy Conan and the late night talk shows.
5. WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR BREAKFAST? Today none bc Im broke. I dont usually do breakfast but I love a double shot of wheatgrass and a fresh squeezed fruit juice like from Liquiteria in NYC. I drink coffee when I need it. I aim for bloodymary's on Sunday for brunch w Abbey at Front Porch on Ocean.
6. WHAT IS YOUR MIDDLE NAME? AIDA like the play on broadway. Its my Cuban grandmothers name (moms side)... I was named after her... Aida Prado
7. FAVORITE CUISINE? I love so many!! I love sushi! I love Thai! I love Italian, French is to die for, Indian is like another world in your mouth, Spain's got the Tapas, I love a good cheesburger! Flanigans!! Switzerland!!! Fondu and Raclet!! yummy! I cant decide. I'm a soup kinda girl 2.
8. WHAT FOODS DO YOU DISLIKE? I dont like anything GOOGLY like Oysters, Jello, raw egg. bleaghh! no jiggling aloud!
9. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CHIP FLAVOR? BBQ!! I love Lays BBQ! or Classic.
10.WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CD AT THE MOMENT? I think its T.I. but I'm getting over it.
11.WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU DRIVE? my little bro's black jeep. thanx roddy! haha!
12.FAVORITE SANDWICH? I choose Turkey, swiss, mayo, honey mustard, lettuce, tom, onion, salt pepper, and i like it to b pressed. I love this one at Quiznos too but forgot the name of it.
13.WHAT CHARACTERISTIC DO YOU DESPISE? I hate flaky people, ones who dont do what they say they will and sellout. the worst!
14.FAVORITE ITEM OF CLOTHING? I love wifebeaters and jeans. I love miniskirts! I love lingerie! I would like to spend lots of $$ on beautiful expensive lingerie one of these days.... maybe my next paycheck if I'm not in debt by then w my parents!! lol!
15.IF YOU COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD ON VACATION, WHERE WOULD YOU GO? I would go to St. Barths and relax. Egypt to see the pyramids, Brazil to check out some cute boys, Paris on a shopping spree if a hottie wants to pick up the tab. Hey why not? Burningman because Im dying to find the right crew to go on this very important journey with me... (u guys have no idea! its going to be the best trip of my life!)
16. FAVORITE BRAND OF CLOTHING? Well lets see... I like Stella McCartney and Chloe I buy lots of vintage crap in general though. I love Gucci, McQueen etc. I should have my own.
17.TO WHERE WOULD YOU RETIRE? I want to retire maybe somewhere with coast and cliffs and fine sandy beaches and breeze. Somewhere like Ibiza but without all the partying. I want chill moonlit nights with friends, wine and music. I want someone around who will make my bed with clean sheets and someone to drive my sailboat.
18.WHAT WAS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE BIRTHDAY? I forgot. I forget those things, but if u remind me I might remember.
19. FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH? I like watching those crazy kids do karate chops on the mat with a stick and hearing the soundeffects they make.... Haiya! its halarious!
20. FURTHEST PLACE YOU ARE SENDING THIS? whoever is on my list
21.WHO DO YOU LEAST EXPECT TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? I dont expect anyone to fill this out.
22. PERSON YOU EXPECT TO SEND IT BACK FIRST? It will be like luck of the draw. no idea. I know nobody that predictable.
23. GOAL YOU HAVE FOR YOURSELF? I'm shooting for a well renowned fashion stylist. Maybe dress some celebs or style some campaigns nothing too big... im not entirely doing this for money or fame its for the love i have for this type of art. I think I could be retty good at it though!!
24. WHEN IS YOUR BIRTHDAY? 2-15-84 the day after valentines people!
25. WHEN IS YOUR ANNIVERSARY? I'm not married and far from it.
26. ARE YOU A MORNING PERSON OR A NIGHT PERSON? im a night person, but I wish i was more of a morning person.
27. WHAT IS YOUR SHOE SIZE? 7.5 or 8
28. PETS? someday a dog. maybe a french bulldog, hopefully one that wont drool or smell or shed or bark or shit for that matter! jk i will clean his shit ok! it'll be my little baby.
29. ANY NEW AND EXCITING NEWS YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE WITH US? Yes my house in the south of Spain (Granada to be exact) will be bulldozed for a highway to be built on it and through it. Its a sad moment for my family. Its full of history and love. My dad practically built it with his bare hands in his hippy days... its an amazing avocado farm with a huge Olympic sized swimming pool. Its name is "Rancho Chico" (Little Ranch). I'm thinking about inviting everyone who may wana come and throwing a huge party! anyone? consider this ur invitation.
30. WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU WERE LITTLE? I always wanted to be a supermodel ...then a fashion designer, then an art director and now a stylist. Am i going down or up hill?
32. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CANDY? I love Sour patch kids! red and green only
33. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLOWER? a lot of em. Whatever ones u wana give me.
34. WHAT IS A DATE ON THE CALENDAR YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO? A wedding in May in LA that I may go to. moving back to nyc in june, and Burningman.
35. WHERE IS THE FURTHEST YOU HAVE EVER BEEN FROM HOME? pretty far
36. SMALL THING YOU REALLY ENJOY? sleep, eating, beach time, boating, magazines, talking shit etc
Monday, April 24, 2006
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
It all began with a comment. A comment to be nice. A comment to make conversation. 'What a nice teapot!' I happened to say to M's mother one day. And I did find it nice. In her house. But I cannot say that I was happy as I opened my Christmas present from M's parents last December: the famous teapot every woman in M's family has in her household. I was actually horrified. For anyone who knows me well, that modern teapot is just not me. It just does not fit in my home.
I obviously fainted thankfullness in front of his parents, but could not lie to M afterwards. Naive me, I told him honestly how I felt about it. Which obviously led to a stupid argument. Aren't arguments between couples always caused by the stupidest worthless topics anyway? The goddamn teapot is since then the certain cause for conflict. The element of discord of our couple. I therefore never mention the word 'teapot' in front of M anymore. That word is now banished in our house. Please be advised if you ever come to visit and I serve you tea.
Friday, April 14, 2006
Yes I was against it. I refused to buy an mp3 or ipod, as it was my way to rebel against the industry not agreeing on one standard-fit-all format. But boy am I happy with my brand new ipod nano, birthday present from M. I can't help but feel 'so cool' with it ;-) Et oui, moi aussi j'ai fini par craquer! One more down. And counting.
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
So many things have happened in the last week and yet so little time/inspiration to write about it. But I reckon a little summary update will do:
My mother came to visit us last Thursday. We visited the charming city of Bremen on Friday despite the rain and cold. Saturday was M's father's 60th birthday party and we thus all celebrated together (family and friends) until wee hours of the morning. I also celebrated my 32nd birthday but on a much lower scale: a nice dinner with my Mom and M was all I wanted. My Mom is now back in Switzerland and I am heading to the South of France tomorrow to meet Beanie for the long weekend.
On another note, my German classes are finished and I now need to find something to keep me busy. Whether it will be temporary job projects or classes of something in German, I don't know yet. I'll take care of that upon my return next week. Till then M might always get some feedback . . . never know and there's always hope!