Wednesday, June 22, 2005

New fave

I am reading quite a lot these days; pretty much devouring every book that falls into my hands, and starting a new one as soon as I finish another. I thus bought many books at various stores mostly located at airports, placed many orders at amazon and even sacked my father's flat. In the latest sack is where I found a new favourite: the book is titled 'Anthem' by Ayn Rand. It's a short novel depicting a world of the future, a society so collectivized that even the word "I" has vanished from the language:

"We are nothing. Mankind is all. By the grace of our brothers are we allowed our lives. We exist through, by and for our brothers who are the State. Amen."


It's extraordinary. What's incredible to me is that it was written in 1936. Ayn Rand, the woman, her
life, is fascinating. Born and raised in Russia under Soviet tyranny, she leaves to the US where she becomes a writer, screenwriter, and founds the philosophy of Objectivism. Anyway, I am hooked on this amazing woman and have now started her 1075 pages masterpiece 'Atlas Shrugged'. Quite promising if you ask me.

PS: All book recommendations are more than welcome. Novels only please.

No comments: