Sunday, December 04, 2005

Quality time

I have always been very close to my mother. I am sure being raised by her alone has a lot to do with it. Communication has always flown between us, with the exception of a few tough years when I went through the natural teenage rebellion. It's therefore quite hard to live geographically so far apart. We've gotten used to it of course, given that it's been ten years now. And it surely makes us appreciate and savour the times we spend together much more, even if saying goodbye is always just as hard.

She just came to Madrid for a last visit before my departure. We went Christmas shopping, we saw a terrific expo about the Traces which I definitely recommend, we went up to El Escorial to see Uma b. and the Mountain family, we saw an interesting little Argentinian movie on DVD, and we chatted and talked for hours. And I realised that the roles are starting to change and invert themselves: up to now she was always the one with the answers and I the one asking her questions and her advice. But not so much anymore. Is it because she's more confused now, or rather because she now sees me as an adult to whom she can confide her doubts? I reckon it's a bit of both.

No comments: